Thursday, February 17, 2011

The GOOD, The BAD, & THE UGLY!

The truth of the matter is.. a lot of people aren't very accepting of natural hair & it's sad to say but, most people are more accepting of weaves or relaxers.
I started getting a relaxer at a very young age most of my life was spent being a slave of the creamy crack until one day I saw the light & was done with it all! I put my foot down and was like this relationship is over !  i started to transition with sew ins to avoid the Big Chop but sadly I was seven months post relaxer with micros and was not educated about the removal of them. My hair knotted up and when push went to shove I was right back the relaxer.

Fast forward a year I was back at transitioning.  I installed sew in after sew in and finally I was tired of paying money and once I hit 9 months I called over my friend and asked her to just cut it all off! I felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO free! I mean it was just a whole new feeling, BUT my hair wasnt exactly CURLY like I had thought it would be...it was dry...frizzy...and not what I seen on other blogs and websites. 

 I was free yet dissapointed all at the same time but I wasn't going back to the creamy crack so it was full steam ahead. Praise the lord for youtube, blogs and Curly Nikki!!! They helped me work with my hair...
Just when I thought I was gaining a sense of confidence about my hair and finally coming with terms with it WHAM society hits & it hits HARD.

 My first trip with my Teeny Weeny Afro was to NY (I figured I would have no problem there since most are on the natural scene) the first thing I hear from a family memeber is "And what did you do to all of your pretty hair? You cut it off and look like a boy!" Mind you this is coming from a family of mostly natural.. I was shocked by the rude and ignorant comments I was met with for a full week.

Its sad to say but family can be the one who try and hurt you the most...
I have learned sometimes you just have to pull strength from within and just do what makes you happy and me and my natural hair make me OVERJOYED...
Don't let the world steal your joy...


XOXO
Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment